|Research scientist [Ecological Modelling]
Phone: +32 2 260 09 50
My research activities reflect my continuing curiosity about the natural world around me, particularly my fascination with the factors that influence the spatial distribution of species. To understand spatial distribution patterns, I make use of geographic information systems, satellite imagery, and spatial modelling techniques.
I am currently working on the ECAT project, which focuses on the conservation of c. 400 (sub-)endemic Central African trees through IUCN Red Listing and Species Distribution Modelling. With these techniques, we aim to explore several issues, such as using predicted distributions as a parameter of extinction risk, understanding the potential impact of climate change on future tree species distributions, and evaluating the effectiveness of the Central African protected area network in terms of conserving (sub-)endemic trees now and in the future.
- PhD, Ghent University, Ghent, Belgium, 2013
- MSc, Ghent University, Ghent, Belgium, 2005
- Research scientist, Meise Botanic Garden, 2018 – ongoing
- COO of Products, Avia-GIS NV, 2017 – 2018
- Researcher GIS & Spatial Modelling, Avia-GIS NV, 2012 – 2017
- Database manager … (2012 - ongoing)
- Associate editor ... (2015 - ongoing)
- Invited speaker, … Congress (2010)
- Teaching course ..., Ghent University (2010-2015)
FRIS Research Portal