Research scientist [Flore d’Afrique centrale]
My main research focuses on the flora of Central Africa. I work on the Catalogue of the native and naturalized vascular plants of Burundi, a project which will allow to evaluate the progress in collecting efforts, the species richness of the country, to compile the distributional and conservation status for most species at the national level and to update the phytogeographic map of the country. I am also involved in the Endemic Central African Trees (ECAT) project, which focuses on the conservation assessment of ca 400 (sub-)endemic Central African trees by using the IUCN Red Listing methodology. Furthermore, I am a specialist in African Rubiaceae and treat several taxonomic groups of this family for the Flore d’Afrique centrale series.
- PhD in Biology, KULeuven, Leuven, Belgium, 2004
- Master in Malting and Brewing Science, KULeuven, Leuven, Belgium, 1998
- Meise Botanic Garden: 2009 – ongoing.
- Involved in digitizing of the Flore d’Afrique centrale.
- Coordinator of the API project in central Africa (DRCongo and Burundi), 2011-2015.
- PhD Student, KULeuven, Belgium, 1999-2004
- Endemic Central African Trees (ECAT)
- Member Editorial Board, Flore d’Afrique centrale (2018 – ongoing)
- Member of IUCN CARLA (Central Africa Red List Authority) (2018 – ongoing)
- Member of IUCN EAPRLA (Eastern Africa Plant Red Listing Authority) (2016 – ongoing).
FRIS Research Portal